I let the mix churn for a full 45 minutes because I'm trying to increase overrun, but it didn't seem to matter. The ice cream is dense and kind of "wet" (is that what they mean by "soggy" in ice cream science books?), and the meltdown is too quick and too liquid. It needs more emulsifier so it can hold more air. I did like the chewiness of it though. Also, even though it's delicious, I think the flavor is too intense. I'd increase the proportion of half and half next time.
Vietnamese Ice Cream Recipe
- 1 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup strong coffee or espresso (I used my Aeropress)
- 1/3 cup fat free half and half
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- Mix everything in a blender.
- Put in the refrigerator to sit overnight.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker.