Sunday, June 16, 2013

Manifesto

Hi,

I started this blog to discuss my efforts to make the kind of ice cream I like at home.  Here are the basics to get you up to speed:

  • I like fluffy, supermarket-style ice cream.  Ideally I like soft-serve, but since I don't expect to be able to make that I am aiming for regular ice cream that's as fluffy and soft as the stuff that used to come in half gallon rectangular containers from Sealtest or Hood (in Maine) when I was little.
  • I don't care about keeping it natural or organic at all.  If chemistry will give me good ice cream, I'm all for it.
  • I need to watch my cholesterol.  Because of this, I am trying to make ice cream using either low-fat dairy or non-dairy (soy, coconut) ingredients.  Fat free half-and-half works surprisingly well.  I'm also using non-egg thickeners like cornstarch and arrowroot because that removes egg yolks from the equation.
  • I use a KitchenAid mixer attachment with my mother's green mixer from 1970 to make my ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment