To make this into ice cream, I used a combination of guar gum and xanthan gum. It took a couple of tries to get the amounts right. My first batch came out pretty icy, although my tasters liked it anyway.
Thai Coconut Ice Cream Recipe
- 3 cups So Delicious coconut milk or equivalent
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn syrup
- about an inch of fresh ginger sliced into coins (no need to peel it)
- juice of one lime
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp guar gum
- Mix coconut milk, sugar, salt, and corn syrup in saucepan. Add ginger. Bring to a boil and boil for four minutes.
- Strain into blender to remove ginger. Add lime juice, peanut butter, cayenne pepper, and gums. Blend to combine thoroughly. (Be careful about blending hot liquids!)
- Pour into a container and transfer to the refrigerator to sit until cold, a few hours or overnight.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker.