Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Vietnamese Coffee Ice Cream

This may be the simplest recipe for ice cream I've made, and yet it was one of the most successful.  It's based on a recipe from The Perfect Scoop, with the amounts adjusted to match the size of the condesnsed milk can I had, and a little xanthan gum added.  The condensed milk might do such a good job on its own of supressing ice crystals that the xanthan gum is superfluous in this recipe.  It's soft and scoopable straight out of the freezer.

I let the mix churn for a full 45 minutes because I'm trying to increase overrun, but it didn't seem to matter.  The ice cream is dense and kind of "wet" (is that what they mean by "soggy" in ice cream science books?), and the meltdown is too quick and too liquid.  It needs more emulsifier so it can hold more air.  I did like the chewiness of it though.  Also, even though it's delicious, I think the flavor is too intense.  I'd increase the proportion of half and half next time.

Vietnamese Ice Cream Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1 cup fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup strong coffee or espresso (I used my Aeropress)
  • 1/3 cup fat free half and half
  • 1/4 tsp xanthan gum

Instructions

  1. Mix everything in a blender.
  2. Put in the refrigerator to sit overnight.
  3. Freeze in an ice cream maker.

No comments:

Post a Comment